The Abstract side of Abstract art.

Water beads
Shadow
Refraction
Oil and Water

For my Questions I have chosen my refraction photo.

1. What is the distinct mood of the photograph? Explain. 

The mood of the photo proves to be very upbeat and happy as seen through the green in the grass of the field. This goes along with the sky being able to light up the field for it to be a sunny day in Los Angeles. The color of the dirt also helps to bring the cheerful mood because its where some of the best players are with the star of the show being in the middle at home plate. 

2. What does the photo make you think about? Explain. 

The Photo makes me think of the perspective of a bird sitting on top of the upper deck at Dodger stadium. This makes me feel really happy because with this view I can see the whole field and every player and fan. It also makes me think about how big the stadium really is and how cool it is in all of its greatness.

3. What in the photo jumps out at you? Explain. 

The patterns in the grass of the outfield most certainly jumps out to me the most. I feel this way because when taking a closer look at the grass one would realize that it is symmetrical as to the darker shades of the grass to the lighter shades. The pattern goes for, vertical to represent the main parts of the outfield where most of the hits are caught. But the diagonal pattern represents the gaps of the field where the hitter is most likely to get a hit if the ball is hit there.

4. How does the photo make you feel? Explain.

This photo makes me feel inner peace. The stadium where this photo was taken is the stadium of my favorite baseball team which I love visiting whenever I can get the chance. The brightness of the stands and the bright blue outfield wall to signal a homerun is also really calming to look at because of the color contrast from dark green to a baby blue color.

5. What advice would you give to next year’s students for shooting abstract photography? Explain.

The main piece of advice I would give to next year’s students shooting for abstract photography is to really try to get a good color contrast in their photos. A good contrast in color will always speak to the viewer of a photo, but abstract photography will really pull this factor out and will make the photo better. To reference my refraction photo I used the contrast of a light dirt color with 2 different shades of green to point out the main parts of the field. 

7 thoughts on “The Abstract side of Abstract art.”

1. I really like the colors in the image that surround the shadow. It brings an aurora to the shadow that you don’t see in the object. I also like how the shadow crawls up the wall.

I think the angle could be better. I think rather than taking the picture from above he should’ve taken it from somewhere where the shadow would have more life. I also think he could have taken more time editing because there is some color distortion.

I think next time he should take more time finding the best angle to bring more of an abstract look. I also think he shouldn’t take pictures from above because the image can look boring. Overall, I think he could just spend more time trying to get the best picture.

2. What I really like about the photo is the filter you put on it. It looks really cool, almost like you were looking at it with X-Ray vision. The contrast looks really good and I like the translucent green on purple.

One thing that could be better in the photo is the cropping. In Duddy’s photo he cropped out too much of the photo and it looks cut off and unfinished. The oil and water looks really good but I can only see a little corner of it.

One piece of advice I have for Duddy is to be more careful with cropping. If I were him I would use the turning crop tool on the corner to adjust the cropping angle and get the whole thing. I might also remove that filter from the background outside the oil and water.

3. I like how he used baseball. I like baseball so I like it. Lastly, it is a cool photo. HE could have used a better team. He could have taking his time. Lastly, he could have used better technique. I would tell him to stay with it. He is good at photos. Also, he is smart so he should take his time.

4. #1 Abstract critique
    Who are you critiquing?
    Blake Duddy
    Which image? Describe
    Shadow of a glass vase photo
    What do you like most about the photo? Explain writing 3 sentences in the block to the right.
    I like the colors he uses to create shadows. These colors include pink and blue. These colors pop and make an interesting image.
    What is one thing that could be better in the photo? Explain writing 3 sentences in the block to the right.
    One thing that could be better in the photo is his choice of angle. Blake chooses a weird angle in which he takes the photo. He takes it in a bird’s eye view.
    What one piece of advice for the photographer to help them make their work better next time? Explain writing 3 sentences in the block to the right.
    If I were Blake, I would take the photo at a different angle. I would take the angle straight on. I feel that this would make his photo more interesting.

5. Duddy, I really enjoy looking at this photo. You’re able to incorporate the whole field into the glass sphere. I like how the patterns of the field pop out as well as the variety of colors. The photo is great but next time you make the photo seem more symmetrical in a way. Also, the colors for the diamond seem a little artificial. The last thing I’d change would be to try to make the background field, outside of the sphere, less blurry. Next time, I’d focus more on the background to make it less blurry. The photo, overall is good, though. Some parts of the photo seem more artificial than others.

6. Glass vase: I like the colors he uses to create shadows. These colors include pink and blue. These colors pop and make an interesting image.

7. One thing that could be better in the photo is his choice of angle. Blake chooses a weird angle in which he takes the photo. He takes it in a bird’s eye view.